Imagine having to wash your clothes by hand every week; that would be a complete time- and water-wasting disaster. Luckily, almost every household nowadays has a washing machine; a machine that makes our lives so much easier.
However, not every washing machine is a quality product. It is fair to say that the majority of washing machines nowadays are built to last a few years at max, so you have to replace the old machine with a new one. Basically, that’s how everything works nowadays, because of, well, consumerism.
But, some washing machine brands still focus on providing high-quality products that will last you a long time. There are brands that care about pollution and take into consideration how difficult and demanding it is to make a machine and later destroy it. So, they build a high-quality, long-lasting product in the first place.
Therefore, if you’re planning on buying a new washing machine, you’re at the right place. In the following paragraphs, we’ll talk about washing machine brands you should avoid, and recommend you some alternatives to check out. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Low-Quality Washing Machine Brands To Avoid
1. Whirpool (Top Load Models)
If you really want to invest in a good washing machine, you will avoid Whirpool machines. These washing machines are far from reliable, and seemingly every person who has owned a Whirpool washing machine (especially the top load model) has had some serious issues with it or at least some complaints. So, what’s the deal with Whirpool washing machines?
Whirlpool washing machines, especially their top-load machines, have probably the worst cleaning quality and are some of the loudest machines out there. These washing machines do not wash out soap properly, leaving soap stains all over clothes, which are by the way also super tangled after the washing cycle is complete.
Let’s take the Whirpool WTW500DW top load washing machine as an example;
At first, this model looks pretty sturdy, efficient, and durable. However, one should really lower the expectations, since this might be the worst Whirpool washing machine. Some of the disadvantages of owning this particular model include;
- Stained soap spots on the clothes because the machine doesn’t clean well
- Incredibly loud, grunting sound during sensor wash
- Clothes are tangled after the washing cycle is complete
- Washing cycles last too long
- Energy consumption is too high (higher electricity and water bills)
Another Whirlpool top load washing machine to stay away from is the WTW8700EC. Even though this model is a bit more advanced than the previous one, it still fails to remove stains, makes loud noises, and fails to work properly in regard to app control. Remote control, once it loses connection to the machine, is almost impossible to re-establish or reconnect the app to the machine.
So, what is the best alternative to the Whirpool top load washing machines?
We recommend you check out the GE (General Electric) GTW720BSNWS top load washer. Why you may ask. First of all, this washing machine has been tested and proven to be the best top load washer under $1,000. Here are the rest of the advantages that show why owning this model will make your life much easier;
- Exceptional cleaning performance and stain removal
- Normal and Delicate cycles are extremely gentle and won’t destroy clothes
- Deep Rinse mode adds more water to each load, so there are no soap stains
- High-quality features, various cleaning options, and powerful cleaning overall
- Durable washing machine, meant to last you for years
So, if you’re looking for a high-quality top load washer, make sure to check out the aforementioned GE model or other General Electric top load washers, since all of them are of high-quality and excellent cleaning performance.
2. Samsung (Front Load Models)
Now, when it comes to Samsung washing machines, you either hate them or love them, there seems to be no in-between. However, we do have to admit that some of the Samsun front-load models really justify the hype and the price. For example, the Samsung QuickDrive or the EcoBubble freestanding washers; both have amazing washing performance and a number of super useful and reliable features.
However, Samsung has put out some questionable front load washers that we really have to talk about. For example, let’s take a look at the Samsung 6.0 Cu. Ft. Smart Washer (Flexwash) model.
The current rating of this washing machine is 2.8 at its best. And the reasons for this are as follows;
- The machine can require repair after only several uses
- Customers have reported leaking, and inability to repair it
- Leaking and noise issues when both loads wash at the same time (the FlexWash allows you to wash two loads simultaneously, but this doesn’t work in most cases)
- Constant issues with the washer software, especially when it comes to mobile device connection
- High repair cost
The same, or similar issues apply to other Samsung front load washers, like the 4.5 Cu. Ft. High-Efficiency Platinum front load washer, as well as the Samsung 5.0 Cu. Ft. High-Efficiency Fingerprint Resistant top load washer.
Samsung washing machines aren’t really a good option for people who don’t want to spend loads of their hard-earned money on the repair costs, which can be pretty high. Even though these machines seem very appealing, efficient, and high-tech, there are simply too many issues with the software, leaking, connection issues, and of course, the high repair cost.
So, what is the best alternative to a Samsung front load washer?
Now, when it comes to some of the best front load washer brands, we have to recommend Electrolux and LG.
The Electrolux front load washer is an excellent choice, especially the model EFLS627UTT. This is one of the best-sellers among front load washers. That is because of;
- Superior cleaning performance
- Effective stain removal
- Energy-efficient washing and cleaning
- Numerous other features, like Sanitize option, 15-minute quick wash, pod detergent support, etc.
The LG models we recommend you check out are the WM3488HW and the WM3700HWA front load washers. We do have to admit that not all LG washing machines perform well, but these models really stand out. Here are some of the advantages of these models that will make them worth your money;
- Exceptional cleaning performance
- Speed-wash option
- Cold-wash option (energy-saving and environment-friendly)
- Spacious tub and customizable load (adjustable temperature, dirt level, and spin speed)
- Exceptional stain removal
- Allergen cycle (removes pet dander)
So, if you’re looking for a high-quality, durable, reliable, and efficient front load washer, make sure to check out our recommended models. They have excellent online reviews as well, which you can check out for more information. But, these models are tested and proven to perform exceptionally, compared to other models on the market.
We know it’s weird seeing Bosch on the list of something ‘worst’, but here we are. Once known for their exceptional, luxury products and home appliances, Bosch production and products have been on a downhill the past few years. This, of course, also applies to their washing machines. Let’s take some of the worst Bosch washers as an example;
- Bosch 7kg Fully Automatic Front Loading Washer – terrible ratings due to loud washing noises, bad cleaning performance, high service cost, money-, water- and energy-wasteful washing, etc.
- Bosch WAE20060UC Front Loading Washer – discontinued due to bad cleaning performance, tumbling during washing, high repair and service cost, leaking, etc.
The washing machines are just the tip of the iceberg of everything wrong with Bosch washers. So, if you want to save yourself money, and save yourself from all the stress the service and repair of these machines will cause, we recommend you avoid Bosch washers and products altogether. For a better front loading machine, we still recommend the aforementioned Electrolux, LG, and GE models.
Just like Bosch, Siemens was once of the best brands for home appliances. Siemens washing machines were some of the best on the market, but, in the past few years, Siemens has somehow lost its glory. Nowadays, their washers aren’t nearly as good as they once were, and are generally on the list of the washers to avoid if you want to get your money’s worth. Some of the disadvantages of owning a Siemens washing machine include;
- Bad cleaning performance
- Washer shaking too fast; violent shaking during washing
- Clothes are severely creased after washing
- Issues with wiring and clogs in almost all washer models
- High repair service price
- The high overall cost of Siemens washers
The only good thing about Siemens washers is the design and appearance. They generally look super high-tech and fit contemporary interiors perfectly. But, other than this, we don’t really have much good to say about Siemens washers and we definitely recommend you avoid them.
So, what is the alternative to the Siemens washer that is a high-quality and luxury brand?
We’d surely recommend you check out the Asko washing machines, like the Asko W4086 or the Asko W4114CT Logic Washer models. These washing machines are simply creme de la creme in the world of high-end washers. Sure enough, they are on the pricier side, where the price ranges between $1,999 and $2,999.
However, the quality, durability, efficiency, and reliability of Asko washers simply justify such a high price. Even though you’re paying a higher price right away, you will end up with a durable appliance that will save on your electricity and water bills.
Indesit washers, as well as other products and home appliances, might just be the worst on the market. For example, the Indesit Moon washing machine has become globally recognized as the worst washer in the history of washing machines. Why you may ask. Well, here are some of the issues customers and owners of the Moon model came across;
- Terrible cleaning performance
- After washing, clothes smell moldy
- Water intake randomly stops during washing
- Door rubber tends to grow mold and gather gunk
- High-temperature wash destroys clothes
- The company doesn’t take any responsibility for the malfunctions
- High repair service cost
We say it would be more convenient for you to just throw your money away in a trash bin rather than spending it on buying this or any other Indesit washing machine. Out of all the brands we mentioned so far, Indesit makes by far the worst home appliances, and their washing machines are known for being pretty terrible.
So, what is the alternative to the Indesit washing machine, in terms of affordable but high-quality washers?
We’d recommend you check out the Beko WTG841B2W washing machine model. It has exceptional ratings, as for a reason. This front load machine is affordable and high-quality, with exceptional cleaning performance and 15 wash programs that ensure efficient cleaning. There are also time-saving settings, the machine is quest even at the highest speed and the overall wash quality is supers. With this model, you’ll truly get your money’s worth and a washer that will last you for years.
How To Choose a Good Washing Machine?
And finally, here are some things to take into consideration when buying a new washing machine. These factors will help you choose the best washer for your needs and preferences;
- Determine which washer type you’d like to use – Top load washers are excellent if you want to be done with the washing quickly. They also have a larger tub size, which is a great option for families of 4 or more people.
However, they also consume a lot of energy and aren’t water-efficient or environmentally friendly. There is also a higher cost, compared to front-load machines. So, we generally recommend people go for front-loading machines, since they’re cheaper, energy- and water-efficient while working just as quickly as the top loader.
- Pay attention to the washer’s capacity – Many don’t think that the capacity of the internal washer tub is of the essence, but the amount of laundry you can wash at once can is actually pretty important. A washer with internal tub volumes of 2.5 to 4.5 cubic feet can hold up to 12 pounds of laundry.
On the other hand, washers with a tub volume of 5 cubic feet can hold up to 20 pounds of laundry. If you’re looking for larger or smaller washing machines, the size of the tub can determine which washer will fit your needs perfectly.
- Check whether the washer is energy efficient – An energy-efficient washer can save you so much money. With such a washing machine, your electricity bills will lower and you will be saving water and electricity. Such washing machines are also more environment-friendly.
If a washer has the Energy Star sticker, it means that it adheres to the government energy efficiency standards, which is an additional advantage and a reason to buy such a product.
- Make sure the washer has the following features – Stainless steel drum, noise-reduction technology, NSF International certification for sterilizing hot wash, bright and clear control panel, quick wash cycle, and other water- and electricity-saving features.
- Make sure the washer is of the preferred size and appearance – Of course, when it comes to washing machines, the design and overall appearance are as important and the cleaning performance. Take into consideration the height, width, and depth of the washer, as well as the door and panel design, color, finish, etc.
Now, we didn’t include the price of the washer in the main things to consider when looking for a good washing machine. Sometimes, the price doesn’t have to be the main indicator of the quality, durability, and reliability of a product. There are exceptional washing machines on the market that can vary in price, so they fit everyone’s budget.